The Swear Myself to You Meme
It's been like this your entire life. Or perhaps it just seems that way, since it's been this way so long. Or it could hasn't been that long, and you remember what things were like before - worthless, fruitless, purposeless. Now, though, all is different. You've sworn your life to someone...or had your life sworn to them by someone else, back when you were young or powerless enough to not control your life. It doesn't matter if this swearing is an expected part of your society or an oddity in a modern age, here you are, and you know what you're here for. This isn't servitude, not in a fashion, as there's theoretically
an honor here in your absolute loyalty. You are essentially on your "sworn duty's" level, you've just, well, chosen to dedicate your life to them. So if you're their best or brainwashed into being their right hand, all of it comes from a place of admiration!
Your position, of course, means you're a tool to be used, and every job needs a different tool. What's your job? Were you raised from an infant be be a constant companion for the one you're sworn to, who you grew up with? Instead, you could be a bodyguard or a first line of defense. In some cultures, there's an expectation that people be good in bed for future spouses; you could be there to train the one you're sworn to in the art of lovemaking. Of course, how well you're able to do your job depends on how your relationship is with your most important person. Are they kind? Cruel? What if they don't want you? It will be incredibly awkward if neither of you want to be in this position.
One certainty is this, however: romance and sexuality, unless heavily controlled, is forbidden. After all, how can you effectively dedicate yourself to them if some part of you wants them to dedicate themself to you
?How to Play
- Comment with your character, your preferences, and what side of the equation you'd prefer to play - the being sworn to or the one doing said swearing. There are also three settings available: old fashion, modern, and future. You may want to specify which one of those you'd like, if you have a strong opinion.
- Reply to others.
- Use the RNG to determine your scenario.
- Old Fashion: In the days of yore, be it ancient, medieval, or pseudo-Victorian - or altogether fantastical.
- Modern: The here and now, where swearing to someone is pretty rare.
- Future: Years from now, who knows what strange alien cultures and technologies we'll have to abide by?
- From Birth: You two were raised together, as one of you was given as a baby. There's no one who knows the other better than you.
- BFFs: You are intended to be their lifetime companion...platonically, of course.
- Repayment: You owe your life to them in one way or another. Devotion is the least you can do.
- Out of Love: The reason you swore yourself to them is because you love them and this is the best way to be close to them, even if you have to sacrifice other things.
- Unwilling Charge: Can you swear yourself to someone who doesn't want you?
- Spoils of War: Being here and swearing allegiance isn't your idea, but when you or your people are defeated in battle, there's not much else you can do.
- Ward: Perhaps you weren't there as an infant, but you did grow up in the family from a young age. They may be like a sibling to you. Would you be able to view them in any other way?
- Marriage: ...a marriage is sort of a swearing, isn't it?
- Mind Control: You need to be more pliable and loyal to be any good, servant.
- Familiar: You were created through magic just for them.
- Guard: Focus. You have to protect them, and you can't if you're distracted.
- Eunuch: You're supposed to be completely chaste and celibate, or at least that's what they and those around them think.
- To Teach: Your charge is going to be married, and you have to teach them how to please a future spouse.
- Jealousy: You know you're not supposed to be
- More than One: Someone else has sworn themselves to your charge...you were here first!
- More than This: You want to be more to them than just a glorified servant.
- Unwilling Charge: They don't want you, but you have to serve them.
- Redemption: This is your way to make up for the sins of your past.
- ...what?: How to you get someone sworn to you again?
- Utter Devotion: There isn't anything you wouldn't do for them. Anything.
- Forbidden: Being with them sexually is a punishable offense for you, but neither of you care.
- Equals: In society, you two are on different levels. In private, you see more eye to eye.
- Not Too Serious: The more crack-y option. They saved you...but it was from something like stubbing your toe. Obviously, you owe yourself to them. Or something.